Creating a backyard getaway is at the top of the wish list for many homeowners for 2022. And with good reason. Who wouldn’t want their very own backyard oasis to quietly relax in during the day and entertain guests at night? Installing a pergola is part of creating that perfect backyard getaway. But what is a pergola’s return on investment? Will a pergola add value to my home?
Pergolas are beautiful additions to a home because it effectively gives you more “living space” outdoors. It’s similar to adding a patio or gazebo to serve as an outdoor living room. But is it worth the investment?
What’s the ROI of a Pergola?
Anytime you elevate your home in the eyes of buyers, you are essentially increasing property value. If a feature makes your property more enticing compared to similar inventory, it will allow you to command a higher asking price.
Since outdoor living has become especially popular, the value of homes with pergolas has been on the rise. A safe gauge for a backyard improvement or deck is about 50% to 80% for your ROI. That said, to the right buyer, an alluring pergola could earn an even better return while providing the X-factor that attracts future buyers to your house.
Because they are open and airy, pergolas can help define your outdoor space without making it feel smaller or confined. Typically, the ground under the pergola is topped with some sort of flooring, whether it’s concrete pavers, brick flooring or even a deck, which combine with the pergola’s pillars and beams to further define your outdoor living space.
Pergolas are generally good investments because they effectively provide more “living space” outdoors. It’s similar to adding a gazebo or patio to serve as an exterior living room. While it won’t give you as much ROI as other hardscape additions, such as a patio or outdoor kitchen, a pergola can add value to your property.
According to HomeAdvisor, the national median cost of a pergola is around $3,500. That said, you can expect to pay about $5,000 for a teal or ipe pergola, $3,000 for a cedar pergola and between $1,000 and $5,000 for an aluminum or fiberglass kit. If you’re an experienced DIYer, you can also opt to install a pergola yourself using a 10-by-10 kit that costs around $2,000.
Although wood is the most popular and beautiful option, it also requires more maintenance. You may have to repaint it, reseal it or repair hardware; and this could result in ongoing costs. With vinyl pergolas, on the other hand, you won’t have to worry about deterioration or maintenance.
Vinyl pergolas won’t peel, chip, splinter, rot, warp, fade or become discolored when exposed to UV rays. Unlike wood pergolas, they can’t be infested by termites or other wood-boring insects. They also don’t require frequent maintenance or annual staining.
Other than getting a ROI, pergolas have many uses and can be built keeping the home owner’s unique requirements in mind. Its structure can be used for relaxation and pleasure, while also upgrading the aesthetic features of your home.
Here are a few benefits that a pergola offers to increase the value of your home:
- Pergolas create a pleasant indoor sense in the outdoors by shading you from the extreme or harsh weather while still enjoying the fresh breath of air.
- For those home owners who love gardening and plants, pergolas are a great way to shade your plants from extreme weather, protecting them from withering away while also providing a good support for many creepers like plants to grow, creating a burst of greenery and beauty. Having a garden space or garden-like structure is known to add value to any property or home.
- Even separately built structures of pergolas that are not connected to the house are known to increase the value of a home by increasing the amount of living space that is calculated while estimating the selling price of any home.
- Having a beautiful structure such as a pergola in the outdoor area of your house will make the property more appealing to any potential buyers as they will pay keen attention to the garden or backyard area not being a useless addition to invest in. It might also be the first impression of the property and can tend to lay a good and refreshing foundation of attraction in the buyer’s mind.
- Most potential buyers are looking for a home that is designed with a good amount of living space outdoors that provides them with the luxury of conducting their many family activities and events in any season, and a pergola provides just that.